Friday, April 17, 2009

Arcane Destiny

th_RhunesWorkshop

The magus Rhune Astherion sat surrounded by the wonders and strange materials of his arcane workshop. Scrolls and books filled the shelves and counter. Magic wands glittered with power. Infinite Dust lay in piles and filled crates to the brim. Glass cases filled with a strange glowing mist, cosmic essence itself, filled one shelf just on it's own. And glowing Dream Shards caught the eye wherever one looked. At a far desk an enchanted quill and rows upon rows of inks of various shades waited patiently for their owner to once again need them. Standing next to him was a creature created from mana itself, waiting for the mage's bidding.

The magus ignored them all for now. Instead he turned his attention to a well maintained leather-bound book on the counter next to him and a quite ordinary quill that he was using to write:

March 26th, 28th year after the Dark Portal:

It has been a strange week. I have been released from prison and find myself out in the world again. And the world has changed in my absence. It has been years since I kept a journal but with so many changes and so many thoughts running through my head I think I need to in order to make sense of it all.

The worst news is my son's wife Aleyna and their unborn daughter are gone. She just left one day on a whim. Reports have come in saying she died but I don't know if I believe them. But in either case they are gone. My son is devastated of course. I wish there was some way I could comfort him but he has withdrawn from me. I fear there may be nothing I can do for him.

I was overjoyed to see Rin and the girls again. To see them alive and well was all I ever wanted. I will never be able to thank Shirath and the Retribution enough for rescuing them. All I can do is try not to cause trouble for the Retribution in the future and be there if they should ever call. I hope they can forgive my transgressions in time. Half of them still think it was some kind of quest for power. I seem to have some bridges to mend.

Ruby was seemingly missing and had been since the day of my release. I eventually discovered from Brantiela the truth. She is in what she considers an embarrassing predicament. I wish she had trusted me enough to let me know. But I won't disturb her draconic dignity by invading her privacy. If she must do this alone to prove something to herself then I will wait patiently for her to return to us. The girls miss her though. As do I.

While in prison I studied the enchanting and arcane journals that Brantiela smuggled in to me. I couldn't practice my art there but I could read and memorize. Upon release I put what I had learned to use, I can now create an elemental of pure magic to do my bidding. And unlike those poor deluded Warlocks I don't have to corrupt my soul to do it. No Fel Magic required. I still need to name him though.

Finally I helped Dawsen move what belongings we still have into the new house. I still like our old house better, so many memories and more space. But home for me is wherever Rin and the girls are. I am sure I will grow to love it soon enough.

Soon I must report to the Kirin Tor. I am sure they are displeased with my recent actions. I hope next week is less... interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By:
SkinCorner