Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Dragon’s Whimsy Pt. 13

RubyBioSmall The chimes of the Stormwind clock bell can be heard as well as the background hum of the city itself: kids playing, merchants shouting, and the hooves of a horse walking on the cobblestone road.

And then the high pitched but serious voice of Ruby Astherion spoke: “I think I might throw up. I’m not sure why… I’ve given up on trying to eat raw squirrel in this form. But the closer to Rhune’s house I get, the more queasy I become.”

“This is the day. The day I sshow him that I’ve learned to sshift form. The day I admit I can sspeak not only draconic, but common too… and have been able to all along. Thiss iss the day things change between uss forever... that he realizes I’m growing up.”

Ruby sighed. “I WANT to grow up. I WANT everyone to treat me as an adult. Everyone… except him. Life-binder preserve me… I don’t want him to ssee me any different. But I AM different. I can’t help it and I can’t hide it any longer without worrying him.”

“It hass to be today.” Ruby said with another sigh.

“I’m outside the door and… I’m not ssure I can bring myself to knock. I think I may be ill. I’m ssweating, I still feel like I might throw up, and I think maybe I should do thiss tomorrow…” Ruby said nervously and then broke off as the door to the Astherion residence can be heard opening unexpectedly.

Ruby gasps and then a very long and awkward silence follows until…

“Hello?” the voice of Rhune Astherion asked. “Can I help you young lady?”

Ruby’s panicked and suddenly bewildered voice stammered: “Uh… err… well…”

“Rhune’s voice takes a gentler tone: “Is something wrong miss?”

Ruby could only manage: “I… feel ill…”

“Would you like to come in out of the heat? I can conjure you something cool to drink or…” Rhune trailed off his voice showing concern.

“Yess… please… thank you…” Ruby said desperately trying to calm her nerves.

Steps can be heard followed by a door closing and then the sounds of chairs creaking and water splashing into a glass. Finally Rhune said: “There we go… just sit and relax… you can stay here as long as you need to.”

Ruby can be heard gulping down some water and then a long silence.

“Why do you look at me like that?” Rhune asked sounding puzzled.

Ruby gulped: “Well… I… I think it will be just easier to SSHOW you.”

Abruptly the flapping of wings can be heard followed by a very shy sounding squawk.

“R… Ruby?” Rhune gasped in surprise.

Ruby took a deep calming breath and then simply answered, “Yess. I am sso ssorry Rhune.”

“Ruby… you have nothing to be sorry about dear one.” Rhune said simply. “I don’t understand why you felt you had to keep this a secret from us for so long or why you disappeared, but you have no reason to be sorry about when it comes to just being who you are.”

Ruby looked up at him nervously and then asked him quietly: “Y… you’re not disappointed that I’m not your little whelpling anymore?”

“You are always going to be my dragon Ruby… even when you are looming over me and eating entire mammoths for dinner.” Rhune said with a smile. “And I am always going to be your human. Nothing can change that dear heart. Not ever.”

Ruby landed on the table and stretched out her neck so as to nuzzle Rhune’s face with her snout. Purring she asked: “And we’ll soar above the clouds together?”

“Of course we will. There is nothing I look forward to more. Just as soon as you are large and strong enough to carry me we will do just that. As often as possible Ruby.” Rhune said grinning.

“My name… is actually Rublestrasza.” Ruby commented.

Rhune blinked. “Is it? That’s a very beautiful name Rublestrasza. Very beautiful indeed.”

Ruby smiled and added: “I like it… but it’ss not half as beautiful as the name you gave me at my hatching.”

“Then Ruby it will be. I am glad to finally know your real name however.” Rhune said scratching Ruby under the chin.

Ruby purred, pleased that he always seemed to know just how itchy the scales were there. Pressing her chin against his hand she returned simply “Ruby ISS my real name as far as I’m concerned.”

“I have so much to tell you Rhune! I wanted to prove I could stand on my own and I’ve done so much! I can shift, and breathe fire, I fought a blue dragon, and learned a really important lesson from a boar… and the people of Darkshire call me Ruby the Noble…” Ruby said excitedly and all in a rush.

Rhune smiled fondly at the dragon: “I can’t wait to hear all about…”

Rhune was forced to break off as the voices of his twin daughters Lamorra and Lakorra suddenly interrupted with: “Ruuuuuuuuuuby!”

“However I think someone else has a prior claim on your time for the moment.” Rhune said chuckling. “Go… you can tell us all about it at dinner.”

“We have new tonks Ruby!” Lamorra burst out in a rush.

“And dolls!” Lakorra added.

“I have a lot to sshow you too dearlingss.” Ruby said with a giggle before following the twins upstairs and turning her star ruby off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By:
SkinCorner