Friday, July 3, 2009

A Dragon’s Whimsy Pt. 11

RubyBioSmall Teeth can be heard chattering and a high pitched gnomish woman’s voice can be heard: “Uh… I’m REALLY ssorry about the wanting to eat you for dinner thing… maybe we can just call a truce?”

Something large can be heard stomping in the freshly fallen snow below and an angry squeal can be heard echoing from the darkness beneath her branch.

“Well yess…. I can see why you might be angry about the whole matter. But try to see it from my perspective! A whelpling needs a LOT of food as they come into their drakehood! I’m soo hungry all the time and I nearly ate Bran’s entire pantry! I jusst can’t help it.”

“Truly… ssorry about the whole matter.” Ruby said doing her best to sound contrite.

The boar responded with a snarl.

“Uh… well that’ss a new sound for you isn’t it?” Ruby laughed weakly. “Well… uh… no truce then?”

“Is this thing still on? Bah!” Ruby mutters something unintelligible and then continues: “Don’t judge me. You can’t see this boar. It’s a real monster! And… well… I admit to being a little nervous after having just recently being mauled by a blue dragon.”

“It all started in the Trade District of Stormwind. There was a priest of the Light by the name of Gideone preaching about the… well the Light. What elsse would he be preaching about? I stopped and joined the crowd listening to his speech and then… she arrived.”

“Demosthenes. A pawn of Malygos and a blue dragon in human form.” Ruby said with disgust. “You may remember about my run-in with her at the St. Patorick’ss party.”

“I tried to warn everyone what she wass. But no one would believe me! As if I had a reason to lie!”

“I… became rather heated. A spy was sitting there right in our midst and no one would do anything. Gideone took me aside and we spoke for some length. He seemed very understanding but explained how there was alwayss more than one side to a story and how it is never too late to redeem ssomeone. He counseled patience and an effort to understand her.”

“He is a very wise example of his speciess and very kind indeed. I really must try to take his example to heart if I am ever to prove worthy of my Flight.”

“That’ss when Demosthenes revealed she had been listening in on our conversation the whole time. Obviously this did not help my opinon of her in the least. But remembering Gideone’s words I chased after her and did my very besst to understand her and explain our reasons for starting the Nexus War.”

“It didn’t turn out so well. Let’s just say she could spend some time talking with Gideone.” Ruby says in nearly a whisper sounding a little scared as she begins to remember.

“She… she attacked me. I shifted into whelpling form and she used her arcane magics against me. I was clearly outmatched and was nearly killed. Then… she threatened to go after Rhune. Enraged I did something I had never been able to do on purpose before… I breathed fire.”

Ruby continues with a strange mixture of shock and pride: “I’m not sure which of us was more surprised honestly.”

“This bought me some time and briefly turned the battle in my favor. I then launched myself at her, all four of my talons grasping onto her leg while I tried to tear her knee out with my fangs.”

“Oh how she howled with pain… but she was not through yet. Forcing me off of her with a spell her booted foot came down on my wing, severely injuring it. Which by the way is why I do not shift to whelpling form and fly away from this sstupid tree.”

“I came at her again on foot, determined to go down fighting. She then did a very odd thing… she summoned a portal and left rather than destroy me. I am still not sure why. Maybe Gideone is right… maybe she really can be redeemed, and through her the entire Blue Flight as well. I pray to the Life-binder that is sso.”

“In any case I took a beating… I lost… and now my confidence is gone… and now thiss stupid boar won’t let me leave…”

The boar growled as if in acknowledgement of that fact.

“Well you can stay there all night and freeze then… you’re not getting me…” Ruby started then squeeked as the branch she was sitting on creaked alarmingly. “Uh… a lot of snow has really piled up on this branch hasn’t… Aiiiiieeee!”

A loud cracking sound is followed by a scream; the crashing of snow and tree limbs, and then a soft thump as a small body hits the snow drifts below.

Finally all is silent except the sound of a boar walking nearer, sniffing the small unconscious gnome that has fallen at its feet.

The boar squeals in triumph…

1 comment:

 

Design By:
SkinCorner