Tuesday, November 17, 2009

First steps along the path…

dragonart

As mentioned in my last post I have set myself a goal of where I want to be… a person I want to become… and that I have a year to get there. Not being one to waste time I’ve taken the first few steps along that journey already.

Step one: I’ve always wanted to draw. Well no more excuses. With some of my birthday monies I bought DragonArt by J "NeonDragon" Peffer. This book is 127 pages of easy to follow instructions on how to draw dragons.

I’ll say right now I love this book.

It’s in full color, softbound but of high-quality glossy paper, and attractive and well laid out. The artist’s *cough* whimsical humor is evident throughout. And it is very easy to follow along.

She starts off with an introduction that introduces the reader to some basic concepts and then launches right into how to draw a basic dragon, slowly advancing the reader step-by-step to drawing ever more complicated dragons, covering many different angles and poses.

I have yet to begin my instruction using the book but it looks easy enough the way she has it laid out. And the fact the book is in full color is more than just eye candy, as the lines you are to draw in the current step are in red while the previous lines are in blue, making it very easy to keep track of what it is you’re supposed to be doing.

All-in-all it looks like a lot of fun. I can’t wait to see how far I’ll come on dragon drawing by my next birthday (see why it’s such a good birthday gift?).

Step two: I’ve been looking back into the past in recent weeks and I’ve realized I’d really wished I’d been journaling all these things. It doesn’t seem right that my character’s lives are chronicled so well but I pay so little to writing about myself until heartbreak comes.

All that changes now. I will be on a journey of sorts over the next year and it should be chronicled even if just for myself. It will keep me on track. Very important if I want to get where I want to go.

I’ve started a new blog which will act as my journal. You know… for the typist. Yeah seriously. For real even.

This has the added benefit that THIS blog can go back to being what it was supposed to be about: character fiction and role-playing articles (the later of which I DO intend to start posting like I originally promised).

So far it just repeats the latest three posts here. But from here on out it will diverge. You can find it here: Journal of a Whimsical Dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By:
SkinCorner