Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Dragon’s Heart Pt. 5

ScheenVsRuby

 

The voice diary of the whelpling Rublestrasza sometimes known as Ruby Astherion (hissing intentional).

A moan of pain can be heard followed by a grunt of annoyance. The high pitched but strangely subdued voice of Ruby Astherion can be heard recorded on her magical star ruby: Scheen can… uh… really fight.”

Sounding embarrassed she continued: “And I don’t mean jusst with her ussual snowballss. But let’ss start at the beginning.”

“Vissic found me in the Wayward Sson tavern and accused me of luring him into an ambussh! He ssaid a letter with my handwriting had told him to meet me in the Storm Peakss where he found Ravine, Rhune, Scheen, and some death knight named Ariadne waiting for him.”

“I assured Vissic I wrote no ssuch letter. And it’ss true!”

Ruby’s growling can be heard and then: “Scheen… I knew it could only have been Scheen. That’ss the real reason she wanted my novel manuscript.”

“Sso of coursse I confronted her about it later. She admitted her duplicity and claimed sshe was doing it to save me from Vissic. Hah! I may be a whelpling but a hatchling I am not! I’m nearing my drakehood after all and I told her in no uncertain termss that I had everything under control.”

“She gave me that annoying smirk of herss and assked me if I really thought I wass such hot stuff that I could deal with Vissic. Sshe sseemed amused when I said I could and would handle him.”

“Then sshe began goading me to attack her and prove it.”

“Normally thiss would not have worked on me… but I wass hurt that sshe didn’t care about my manuscript and… well… Scheen iss Scheen… you can’t help but want to smack her even when sshe’s NOT trying to be annoying.”

“Sshe watned a fight and I was determined she knew better than to trifle with a dragon.”

“I sswooped down on her in whelpling form, sscreeching my battle cry, talons outstretched! It’ss all a blur after that except I remember broken images: her shooting me with a rifle and me melting the incoming bullet with dragon fire… my landing on her shoulder digging my talons in… her throwing me off and trying to knock me from the air with a blunted harpoon… me back in gnome form leaping at her kneecaps… and finally me on my back seemingly helpless…”

“Until she kneeled and tried to help me up…”

“I lunged… trying to tear her throat out with my teeth! Sshe moved at the last moment and I missed the artery… but I sstill had the ssatisfaction of tasting her blood and hearing her scream in shock and fear…”

“Till she punched me in the face and thingss get blurry again.”

“I know what you’re thinking… maybe I went too far. But in my defense I AM a dragon… and in battle we can be a little… uh… feral. That’ss why you DON’T TRIFLE WITH A DRAGON. Besides she tried to use a HARPOON on me! Harpoons make me nervous.”

“Random fact: Scheen doesn’t tasste like chicken. More like Talbuk but with a slight aftertasste. I think if sshe weren’t sentient I might give her another try.”

“Mmm… Talbuk.”

“I lay there dazed and sstunned while Scheen was busy trying to staunch the blood from her neck. We were both exhausted and I think we both had a new respect for the abilities and will of the other. That’ss when sshe mentioned she had actually edited my book and very much enjoyed it.”

“You think sshe’d have jusst said that earlier and ssaved uss all a lot of trouble. Or maybe sshe did and I didn’t hear. As I ssaid… we can be somewhat feral.”

“I forgave her… sshe was only doing it to protect me and she DID like my book. So I forgave… but I will not forget.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By:
SkinCorner